Saturday, March 1, 2008

Houston Radio

Houston radio stations are the worst on fucking planet Earth. If you like oldies, too bad because there's only one station and they mostly play 70s classic rock; if you like good rap too bad because there's only three rap stations and all they play is southern garbage except for the TSU station for two hours Friday night and the rest of the week they play smooth jazz; if you like rock there's a lot of stations but you'll probably just hear Nickelback or whatever; and if you like indie music then also too bad because the Rice University station just plays ambient tones for 95% of their broadcast day. There is a good station for classic country, though, so that's fine, and if you like Tejano music then there are about 40 choices. Mainly just get a cd player in your car is my recommendation if you're going to move here.

RATING: 29%

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the radio stations in Houston are as bad as Oxford's. This is exactly why I started listening to the NPR indie music stations on-line. Of course, it doesn't help while in the car--unless you know how to burn the shows or if you have Sirrus or something. All I have to say is thank god for cd players in cars.

Jacqui

Anonymous said...

cd player? Do live in a different century than me? Get a portable media player that can also store 100's of hours of TV and movies (for your favorite ST: TOS eps.) for those long hours on the freeway when Houstonians are abandoning Dodge during the next hurricane scare or hit.

Archos (for being French, but made in China) is pretty good and you can find a lot of deals at Amazon.com or even Wal-mart.com. There are also small and cheap mp3 players out there that can hold hundreds, if not thousands of songs. Cds are rather limited and bulky in an 8-track sort of way.

DCP said...

I'm going to get an mp3 player someday. I just need to get motivated to do it. I've been slowly putting all my music on itunes, so maybe that will be motivation.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I, unsurprisingly, don't have an mp3 player either. I will one of these days; it takes me a while to get with my decade. I do use itunes, but I mostly burn the music onto blank cds.

Jacqui