Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest

Look, nobody thinks this album is bad and that's because it is fucking great. The beats are solid (great use of the stand up bass), the rhymes are amazing (especially on What?, my favorite track, although there's no youtube video to link unfortunately) and for a rap group the songs are a surprisingly manageable length. My only complaint is I bought this off of amazon and half of the tracks are censored, whereas the other half are not censored at all. It makes no sense, and the same thing happened when I bought a Pharoahe Monch album off amazon too, so that place sucks. Anyway, everybody knows and loves Scenario, but other available videos on youtube include Check The Rhime and Jazz.

RATING: 85%

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know. I completely forgot about this group. It's been a long time since I've listened to them--too long, in fact. Now I'm going to have to pull out this, my Arrested Development, and my Us3 from my record collection.

Jacqui

PS--Yes, I still use the term "record." I also use the term "album." I also listen to 78s. So there. I'm old. At least, I don't eat at Shoney's.

John said...

All the Tribe Called Quests in the world won't save you when Nas comes gunning for your ass.