Tuesday, March 11, 2008

High School

A lot of people love high school; in fact, when I was in high school at Columbia High School in Lake City, Florida, all of the faculty constantly told us these were the best years of our lives (I hoped that was bullshit, because I didn't really want to peak at 17). I am also not one of those people who hated high school. Yeah, there were assholes etc, but I had my share of good friends. But now, having met a lot of people who went to high schools in a lot of other places, I realize that I probably didn't have the best education. The year I graduated, 1998, Columbia High School was ranked last in high schools in Florida. That same year, Florida was ranked last in education in the whole country. So basically I graduated from the worst high school in the country. In my 9th grade class there were somewhere around 930 students, whereas our graduating class only had 420 students. That's over 50 percent loss. I guess on the other hand I never really had to study for anything ever my whole time there, but whenever people start talking about all the great contemporary literature they got to read in high school, I just think about our 40 year old textbooks. Ah well! I'm so dumb I can't even count to five.

RATING: 16%

5 comments:

laurie said...

The only good classes I had at CHS were AP English (twice), AP Euro history, and Calculus...and you didn't take any of those. So yeah, you missed all the good classes. Sadly there were only four of them. God that HS sucked balls. And I was one of those ppl who hated it. (Except that one awesome boyfriend I had for half of it, of course.)

Anonymous said...

I didn't mind my high school years so much. It was my middle school years that sucked ass.

Jacqui

John said...

My school didn't have advanced anything except math. My math teacher told me I wouldn't need algebra once I left high school so I could just drop it and take a study if I wanted. Plus I was high in class all the time and I never got in shit for it. One teacher even told me that I smelled good.

I would argue that one of the reasons high school English was so shitty was because other than Shakespeare we didn't read a single thing written before 1968. We spent more time learning about trendy political agendas than we did literature, we never wrote our own stories, we only did one persuasive essay in grade 11 and one research paper in grade 12, and mostly we did group work about how bad it is to be sexist and racist. I'd rather read Jane Austen than watch a video of Gloria Steinam talking about how someone should invent an electric axe so women can be firefighters without having to pass a test of physical strength or read articles about the "Women's Holocaust."

DCP said...

At our school we didn't read anything written after 1948. We definitely didn't read any kind of feminist theory. Maybe if our schools could have crashed into each other, there could be some ideal super school.

LoCo said...

NEVER HAD TO STUDY IN HIGH SCHOOL?? I feel faint.