Friday, January 23, 2009

GLP's Westminster

Certain tobaccos impart distinct flavours to their respective blends. Virginia is toasty, grassy or lemony; burley is nutty and often sprayed with fruity essences; "oriental" or "turkish" tobaccos vary considerably, but often taste floral, citrous, or leathery; perique is piquant, and tastes like stewed fruit, salsa and chrome; latakia--the most distinctive "condiment" tobacco of all--smells like road tar, burning camel shit and funeral incense, and tastes like it smells, except saltier.

Westminster is a full-bodied English blend comprised of virginias, orientals and Cyprian latakia. Compared to the rarer Syrian latakia, which has a smoky transparency and a hint of overripe pomegranate, the Cyprian leaf has a darker, almost opaque quality and a slight mustiness. I think I prefer the Cyprian, although the fullness of either can be off-putting. The virginias taste like toast. The orientals taste like a petting zoo full of goats and llamas. It smokes very cool, and the flavour is consistent throughout the bowl, although I usually end up tossing the last 1/4 (bad for the pipe, I know, but it tastes like wet ass). Overall, Westminster has more balls and nicotine than Esoterica Tobacciana's Penzance, another notorious Cyprian heavy hitter. If it's cased (i.e. flavoured) at all, I can't tell.

Some people (English people, I imagine) can smoke an English blend all day long. I like one once in a while, on a cloudy, chilly day when I'm feeling nostalgic and/or a little sad. Don't ever smoke Westminster indoors with other people around unless you like making lifelong enemies. In fact, you probably shouldn't even smoke it while you're on the phone.

RATING: a bittersweet 80%--Don't smoke latakia, kids, unless you really want to smell death.

(Image from smokingpipes.com. Also, that petting zoo is in Houston *cough cough*.)

13 comments:

laurie said...

Well look at you classin up the joint with your fancy tobacco review. But you know what's not classy? Lung cancer. Or so says the extremely graphic anti-smoking ads they show here in NYC. There are some on this page, but they are mild compared to the ones from last year that I couldn't find. One of those had a close up of some lady's amputated fingers. It was really gross. Just sayin.

John said...

Those are scary. We have graphic warnings right on the pack in Canada. I appreciate the concern, but I did that whole review from memory. (While I was smoking a cigar heh heh). Also, some Canadian doctors will stop seeing their patients if they don't quit.

Also, you don't inhale a pipe. But apparently acetaldehyde does more damage in your mouth, throat and salivary glands anyway, since your liver can't get rid of it up there. They're developing a gum in Finland called Biohit that's supposed to neutralize some of the badness, but it's not on the market yet.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

wy wld they aputate her fingers you smoke in your mouth

Anonymous said...

Great review.

I'm going to run (well maybe not run, I'm a little breathless after having a lung removed due to tobacco-related lung disease) to my neighborhood tobacco shop and get me some.

DCP said...

Are you compensating for the last few reviews lack of hypertext here? I wonder what Faulkner or Joyce would have done had hypertext existed when they were writing. Something tells me Faulkner would approve of all the links you've embedded, and Joyce would not. Take that as you will.

LoCo said...

Laurie you have a good point, one I never really noticed -- I rarely see anti-smoking ads in Texas, whereas I remember being bombarded by them before. That commercial with that guy and the voice box thinger, that commercial showing the young girl smoking at various times during her day and claiming "I'm not a smoker" (that one hurt) -- in fact I can't even think of one I've seen while in Texas. It's not like I watch a lot of live TV here, but still.... can anyone else?

John said...

I added all those hyperlinks because I'm super-lame and needed to kill about 5 hours on Friday night. But I think in the interests of stepping up quality around here, more hyperlinks should be in order. There's nothing worse than having to copy and past html into the address box, and I don't think anyone ever does, they just ignore the address and move on.

Of course, they usually ignore the hyperlinks, too, but at least all that blue and purple text looks real fancy.

John said...

We should be getting tons more hits sooner or later, assuming Brent Newland occasionally googles his name and is as popular as he looks.

laurie said...

Loco, that voice box thingie guy is a classic. Every single person in NYC has it burned into their memory.

laurie said...

Also, those Canadian warnings would definitely work on me. Hell, the NYC voice box guy commercials made me quit.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

im gonna change my blogger name to brent newland, hold on a second guys

John said...

Just don't get us deleted. I think that's technically fraud.

John said...

Nice.