Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Smash by The Offspring

This was one of the first CDs I ever owned, but then I inexplicably sold it. Maybe it was because it was so damned popular, and I was under the impression at the time that if something is popular that means it is bad, which is totally not true (all the time). Well, I got it on Amazon the other day for like ninety cents, and it's a pretty good album as I'm sure you all remember. The lyrical content is laughable, but Jesus, what do you want, Leonard Cohen? Listening to this album after more than ten years makes me realize how much of my own shitty high school poetry/songwriting was inspired by lines like

"Superpowers flex their wings
hold the world on puppet strings
egos will feed
while citizens bleed"

Gross!

RATING: 68%

8 comments:

Bryan said...

I never understood why "Self-Esteem" was the big winner on this album.

Evan J Peterson said...

Am I the only one who realized that this is out NINE HUNDREDTH REVIEW?

Or is it at that point at which we're all, like, "Meh. We'll celebrate when we hit 1,000"?

Evan J Peterson said...

out=our

Evan J Peterson said...

and dammit, Glenn, why haven't you commented on my review of Joker?

DCP said...

I never read the Joker book, so I didn't know what to say. I meant to pick it up, but then I realized that I didn't have $20.

Anonymous said...

900 X 30sec/review = 7.5hrs = 1 days work. You guys have exhausted me.

John said...

This album was so badass when it first came out. Dexter Holland is a total douche, though, and listening to smash highlights just how geriatric their latest stuff sounds.

Their bass player plays an Ibanez ATK, which is basically a music man stingray clone with no high end. He's possibly the only "famous" (I can't remember his name) bass player who does.

DCP said...

Yeah, I never felt inclined to buy anything else The Offspring ever did.

Watching, glad we could be of service. I hope you were at work reading this so you at least got paid.