Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Frost/Nixon

I'm not in my 40's, I wasn't around during Watergate, and Nixon was dead by the time I was 12. That having been said, I thought that this was a pretty cool movie, and that Frank Langella pulled off one of the more remarkable film characters I've seen in a while. He played Nixon with gravitas, power, and sympathy...and he shook his jowls and fired off peace signs like you wouldn't believe.

As a whole, I liked the movie's cast a lot - it's hard to go wrong with Sam Rockwell and Oliver Platt in the supporting roles, and Michael Sheen was fun to watch as super-optimist David Frost. And even though there weren't any explosions, car chases, or super-heroes, I got really worked up at the points in the movie where you're supposed to get worked up...which is kind of the idea behind dramas like this, I think. Anyways, it was great, and I'm looking forward to the sequel, "Frost/Nixon 2: Laser Swordfight".

RATING: 91% (which means that its better than Burn After Reading, but worse than Orange Juice)

(image courtesy of wikipedia, dude)

3 comments:

DCP said...

This movie looked hella boring to me, although I like Ron Howard.

Sarah said...

Yeah, movies about major historical events that shaped our political environment today... snore.

Belabras said...

What story isn't made better by a laser swordfight?