Saturday, January 3, 2009

Summer Heights High

Being bored at your parents' house is often made bearable by a fully-loaded cable package featuring all premium channels and On-Demand. After watching the entire Season Whatever of Entourage and crying because I rewatched Brokeback Mountain, I needed something new. I wound up watching the entire (and sadly, only) season of this show and loved it. It's an office-like mockumentary set at an Australian High School, and the writer Chris Lilley plays three roles -- a drama teacher, a Polynesian boy with behavioral problems, and rich transfer student Ja'mie (pictured). The drama teacher turns a school tragedy into a full-scale musical production featuring songs with titles like "Naughty Girl" and "She's a Slut" (which are all stuck in my head simultaneously). The Polynesian boy hasbreakdancing wars with the small blonde children in the year below him. Ja'mie dates a 12-year-old and seamlessly insults everyone while overusing the word "random." And it all took less than four hours to watch. Give us some more, Mr. Lilley!

(Disclaimer: apparently this show is to people who've taught middle school what The Office is to people who've worked in an office -- mostly funny, but sometimes purely tragic.)

RATING: 92%

5 comments:

John said...

I fucking hate teaching middle school, but I did run across a hilarious student-made public service poster at M----- Middle School last year that read:

"Why be a bully and hurt people when you can play video games ALL DAY?"

Middle school teachers are also fuck sticks. Every time I introduce myself ("I'm John x from blah blah blah, out of earshot of the students, of course) they always say, "I'm Mr. Blaht," or "I'm Madame Blah." And they complain that the kids don't have any manners.

Incidentally, kids at the aformentioned school are allowed to sharpen their pencils directly onto the floor.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

internet jon x

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

militant canadian civill rights activist

DCP said...

I don't understand the logic of that poster. Does that mean that you can bully and hurt people in video games so why bother in life, or does it mean why bother doing anything other than play video games since they're so great?

Anonymous said...

I think the second one.