Saturday, January 24, 2009

Notorious

It's me again, reviewing from the cinematic graveyard. Except I was completely psyched to see this movie, even though I was pretty sure it was going to be crap. But if you go to see this movie expecting Oscar-caliber performances, that's a little naive (Angela Basset as Biggie's mom notwithstanding). Biggie's son plays 'ittle bespectacled Biggie, and there is enough B.I.G. music throughout to make any fan happy. My friend complained that too much of the movie was the actor rapping as Biggie, but he doesn't do a bad job. I feel like the movie wanted me to be on Team Faith Evans but that will never ever happen; I will always be on Lil' Kim's side because I would sure as hell be pissed if my man dumped me to marry a bleached-blonde he'd known for four weeks, and then continued to string me along for the rest of his life. Naturally, [maybe not co-producers] Faith Evans and Voletta Wallace are portrayed as saints, and the shooting(s) of Tupac are seen as just simply shocking to Biggue & his entourage. Do you remember where you were when you heard Biggie was shot? I was getting dropped off at Sunday school. If you remember too, you owe it to yourself to see this movie, if only later on Showtime or whatever. If not, you'll probably think it blows. Although it's always fun to see a movie featuring Brooklyn in an era when black people used to live there.

RATING: 56% (no better or worse than Bride Wars)

8 comments:

John said...

BNL shot Biggie. He'll drop you like a fucking heart attack.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

whose biggie

Anonymous said...

Faith didn't produce this movie...check the facts b4 u post lies. This is produced by Ms. Wallace and Sean Combs. Its Lil Kim fault if she let Biggie treat her like that. He also dated Charli Baltimore after him and Faith split up..so he just didn't love kim. Kim want the world to think that cause she is delusional. I'm with Team Faith. By the way someone ask Kim why she started fucking D-Roc (Big's best friend) after he died?

laurie said...

Is that anon comment for real?

John said...

Good suggestion, anonymous. Lil Kim and I haven't been in touch recently, but I'll be sure to put the screws to her next time I see her.

LoCo said...

I'm sure Kim and D-Roc are not the first friends to fuck after something horrifying tragic happened to a mutual friend. Although I do have to say, I don't think Kim was portrayed too badly in the film. She wasn't played as psychotic or a stalker or anything... her character just seemed young & naive, and then eventually hurt & pissed off. It doesn't seem like whoever crafted the story was out to get her.

And omg Charli Baltimore! I'd forgotten about her. Her and that red red hair.

I can't wait until Xbox 360 comes out with a Rap Star game.

LipstickMom123 said...

I'm always glad to see African-American's getting work! You don't see that enough!

LoCo said...

I think an African-American is doing some work on your daughter right now, LipstickMom!