Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hamlet 2

Hamlet 2 is an attempt to spoof the "inspiriational teacher" genre of film. It stars Steve Coogan (who was pretty good in A Cock and Bull Story) as a drama teacher who writes a sequel to Hamlet in which Jesus and Hamlet Jr. use a time machine to prevent the tragic events of the original play. Said play is performed by a predominantly hispanic drama class against the wishes of the school administration and the community at large, who (SPOILER ALERT!) are surprised and delighted with the result. This film is far too stupid to actually satirize anything, and is only saved from being pure garbage (à la Meet the Spartans) by the play-within-a-movie's bizarre premise and the montage of its performance near the movie's end. With 20+ I.Q. points and the tiniest bit of research into what drama and education are actually like, Hamlet 2 probably could have amounted to more than a clichéd Hollywood depiction of more Hollywood clichés, executed with stupidity and bad taste. Oh well.

RATING: Hamlet 2: 40%
Catherine Keener: Hot%

(Image from www.impawards.com.)

8 comments:

shoppista said...

I just rented that. We only got through half an hour and I gave up because I hadn't laughed once.

John said...

I enjoyed that it wasn't Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guatanamo Bay.

DCP said...

Really? I enjoyed Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay because it wasn't Hamlet.

John said...

I thought the part where Neil Patrick Harris jumped in Ophelia's grave was particularly moving. You philistine.

Jacqui said...

After seeing this movie, I had the song "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus" stuck in my head for an entire month. I don't think I can ever forgive Hamlet 2 for that.

John said...

Thanks. Now I have it stuck in mine.

Elizabeth Shue sure loved that line about smoking weed.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

yall are talkin about a buncha sh** i dont know about

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

inspiriational