Monday, January 5, 2009

Marvel 1985

This limited comic series just ended a couple months ago, so that makes this like the newest comic I've ever reviewed here or some such nonsense. The plot involves a kid in a small town in "our world" in 1985 whose parents are divorced. He collects comics, I guess to escape (who am I, Freud?), and then one day all of the Marvel supervillains come into his universe and start wreaking havoc on his town. Mark Millar writes a pretty convincing kid, and a lot of the tone of this book feels similar to 1980s era kids movies, so it's fun and also dark. I have complaints about Millar's composition that can probably be applied to every book he writes - he uses way too many splash panels. I mean, any six issue arc he does could be done by any other writer in three or four issues, tops. Other than that, it's a good book, and Tommy Lee Edwards' has a neat, choppy art style I liked so if you want you can come over and borrow it sometime yours truly Glenn.

RATING: 70%