Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shaolin Soccer

I never saw this movie when it came out because somebody told me it was about "Shaolin monks playing soccer," and two of the three key terms in that phrase sound hella boring. Anyway, a friend lent this to me a couple weeks ago and it turns out it was funny and there wasn't too much about pure living or religion, but mainly a bunch of slapstick humor. The movie is pretty predictable as far as the plot goes (underdog sports team versus evil sports team, hero falls for plain looking girl who doesn't trust him, old coach atoning for past failures, etc), but the movie makes fun of those standards while employing them so it's ok. Oh yeah, the plot - basically this team of underdogs enters this huge national soccer competition except they use kung fu to beat everybody (spoilers). If you like to laugh in these trying times then check it out I say.

RATING: 61%

5 comments:

laurie said...

That sounds awful. And retarded. Sorry, G.

Bryan said...

This movie is tremendous. I really like Stephen Chow movies, so...yeah.

This is probably my favorite, but I really liked God of Cookery as well.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

brayan is that the dude form chapells show on your userid pic

LoCo said...

Good movie.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

sweet