Monday, September 8, 2008

Wells' Banana Bread Beer

I really like products that are gimmicks (especially when they're food related). They're usually fun to try, but awful to taste (the desired end result being the experience to try something different even if it's gross). Except, Wells' Banana Bread Beer is one of those gimmicks that's actually not that bad. The banana flavor dominates the noise but after taking a sip you'll only taste the slightest bit of banana underneath a hoppy bitter flavor on the back of the tongue. The mouthfeel is lacking, but what did you expect? Typically I hate any alcohol that's got hints of fruit, but this is a beer with an intentional fruit flavor that's not overly sweet. I feel they did a pretty good job rounding the flavors out given the obvious ploy to appeal to consumers like me.

RATING: 65%

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had much luck with the beer-labelled-to-taste-like-a-fruit, but my parents are always loving on some kind of pumpkin beer thing. If you liked the banana sensation, I would suggest trying Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell, which has a banana thing going. As far as I know, there are no bananas involved.

John said...

Did you like those Harry Potter jellybeans? Because I thought those were pretty clever, and disgusting.

Chris said...

Well, I liked the idea, but some of them were awful. It was still interesting to try flavors of things you'd never want to be candy.

John said...

Sea Dog and Pumphouse both make a nice blueberry ale, although I'm not sure if either make it this far south. The key to fruit beer is for it not to be too sweet.

LoCo said...

This sounds yum.