Saturday, September 27, 2008

University Pseudo-Parties

I went to my first (and probably last) student-faculty social event tonight. The jarring mélange of nerdy social awkwardness and schmoozy insincerity was almost enough to put me off my plate full of free food. Postgraduate academia is like a greenhouse full of brittle, overcultivated plants grown in shallow soil. Most of the people who go to these kinds of functions really only have 2 social modes: pretending to be cleverer than they actually are, or politicking and asslicking. Unfortunately, the institution of the university provides plenty of real incentives for both of these normally repulsive behaviours.

RATING: 34%

(Image from www1.istockphoto.com.)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, but at least you tried right?

Jacqui said...

Yeah, those social events always made me lose my appetite too. Luckily, the food is free at those events.

DCP said...

Boy I miss free food, though.