Monday, September 8, 2008

Feast

Feast is a place in Houston everyone thinks is totally tits because it appeals to those dumb "foodies" that are into the head-to-tail movement. Well, I'm totally into that too, but the food has to be good. The first time I went I ordered testicles and tongue presented with a raw garlic, vinegar, dill and herb mixture which, while delicious, cut the faint taste of the organ meat too much. I also tried their kidneys, head cheese (brawn), and pork cheeks. The head cheese and kidneys were fairly decent, but either over or under spiced. Pork cheeks, however, were delicious and seared in the pan making them crunchy on the outside, but soft and warm on the inside. Tonight, I shared a merquez appetizer that was sadly only 4 small slices of the sausage. The chef was out of frisee for the accompanied salad and made a quick adjustment by creating a parsley/chervil and tomato salad (think tabbouleh without bulgur) instead. I had to give him credit for the quick thinking because it was pretty good. For my entree I had the best dish I've had there so far, a delicious sweetbread (I just can't resist them when they're on the menu), bacon and potato pot pie served with leeks, fennel, and mushrooms on the side. It was pretty damn good. Anyway, Feast is a decent place if you're into eating like a big boy. They've worked out some kinks they had in the early stages with their food, but it still isn't great. So go take a date and impress them with all the gross food you're not afraid to eat.

RATING: 59%

5 comments:

John said...

The leek is truly the king of vegetables.

Chris said...

Yeah, I realize every time I order something with leeks that what I love most about the food are the leeks. They smell pretty good too.

Anonymous said...

Leeks are terrific. Also, parsnips.

laurie said...

Just threw up on my keyboard.

LoCo said...

Excerpts from this review:
"tits" "head-to- tail" "testicles" "tongue" "raw" "dill" "faint" "organ" "meat" "head" "pork" "cheeks" "either over or under" "in the pan".... if I continue we're going to have to start charging money for people to visit this site. what the HELL goes on at Feast, really?