Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike: Preparing for a Hurricane

Look, I'm from New York, so I don't really understand how this all works. When it looked like this hurricane might hit Houston and be "serious" (i.e. not a pathetic drizzle that canceled my flight home last month, or the sunny day that was Gustav here), I'm more than willing to buy into the buzz and prepare in case I find myself without power and fighting with my boyfriend's cats over food. I went to Kroger (a supermarket, for all you Yankees) and stood in a surprisingly polite line after scraping the bottom of the barrel for supplies. There was no more water at all, only a few sports drinks and Lipton green tea. The bread was almost all out, except for English muffins, and, inexplicably, bagels. WHO DOESN'T LOVE BAGELS? I don't understand the south. So I wound up buying bagels, assorted canned vegetables, and baked beans. Have I ever bought baked beans before in my life? Are baked beans produced exclusively for hurricanes? I have so much to learn.

RATING: 36%

3 comments:

Chris said...

Last night the only soup left at 2 separate Kroger's was New England Clam Chowder. It made me laugh inside.

laurie said...

I hope you bought the Bush's baked beans. Those are the best. And hey, vitamin water might be actually better than real water in a survival situation since it would provide you with water, calories, and vitamins instead of just water.

DCP said...

There was plenty of Lone Star at the Fiesta I went to. Now there is no longer plenty of Lone Star.