Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Perry Bible Fellowship

Perry Bible Fellowship is a online comic strip which has little, if anything, to do with the Bible. The comic can more or less be explained as like, the Far Side on acid, man. Using a variety of subject matter and artistic styles, Nicholas Gurewitch (the author/artist) has created a uniquely morbid and subversive comic. Though no longer actively updated, two collections have been published and an extensive archive of the comics remains available online.

Rating: Not Always Safe For Work%

(Image from warren-peace.blogspot.com)

7 comments:

DCP said...

Pretty funny. As far as internet strips go, I like XKCD. Explosm.net is often funny, but I can't read it because of the awful banner ads on the site.

Quammy said...

Penny Arcade and PVP are both good. I'm not really into video games, but I still find them entertaining.

laurie said...

I'm fond of Rehabilitating Mr. Wiggles. And not just because one of my closest friends is dating the author. I also appreciate it's dirty and blasphemous humor.

Internet John said...

I like this one. Hey remember those "soggy snappers" you used to be able to get in Captain Crunch? I always wanted one, but I usually wasn't allowed to eat it because I was fat, and also my parents took the prizes and hid them because there were 5 of us.

Internet John said...

P.S. subversive of what?

Quammy said...

Perhaps subversive was the wrong choice of words. Iconoclastic, maybe? There are a number of strips where the author approximates the style of other comics and artists, like Family Circus and Shel Silverstein. Even the one you pointed out that riffs on the whole Captain Crunch/soggies thing.Just taking familiar concepts and situations and putting a morbid and original spin on them.

Internet John said...

I guess subversive works. I'm used to hearing illiterate. well-fed WASPs talk out of their asses about capitalist power structure and hegemony all day and they use that word all the time, so I don't trust it. You can really just ignore me when I ask questions like that, like Glenn does when he says something is racist and I ask him why and he doesn't say anything all the time.