Monday, September 14, 2009

District 9

I haven't seen social commentary this subtle since Romero's Dawn of the Dead (sarcasm). This movie is about a huge flying saucer that shows up over Johannesburg one day filled with starving aliens, so they decide to take them all in but they separate them from regular people, get it? The aliens are portrayed as filthy criminals who eat garbage and cat food although there are a couple smart ones out of two million. I know that you're supposed to draw a parallel between the aliens and apartheid, but if that's the case then this movie comes across as pretty racist even though you side with the aliens. On the other hand, the action is terrific and the special effects are amazing, so if you can ignore all the social implications it's a pretty fun movie (not sarcasm).

RATING: 75%

7 comments:

DCP said...

Did I already write Charlize Theron on an MSPaint drawing?

Belabras said...

I agree that it's a more than heavy handed allegory, but honestly it's the most interesting movie to come out this summer.

Was well worth my $10 at least.

I.J. said...

I thought it was cool, although I liked the biosuit in "Alive in Joburg" more. Felt bad for those prawn eggs that got torched with a flamethrower.

Also, the guy's accent made him sound like a moron. "Fook, fook, fook!"

DCP said...

The biosuit in "Alive in Joburg" looked more original. The one in D9 was like MechWarrior or something.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'll stick to movies like "Ocean of Pearls." It seems to work on multiple levels.

Internet John said...

How is the movie racist?

laurie said...

This movie fucked my head up, but I still enjoyed it and thought it was a very smart movie. The actions were pretty entertaining, too (but I had to shield my eyes from some of the gross stuff). Anyway, it was well worth the $13 my friend paid for me to see it, and it would even be worth $13 of my own dollars.