Wednesday, September 16, 2009

General Onyx Snus

General Onyx comes in a fancy can and the little snus packets inside are arranged in the shape of a star. It's a "white portion" snus, meaning the little "teabags" are made out of a slightly less porous material so they (supposedly) leak less and keep longer. It also has 50% more nicotine than General Regular. Pretty much everything about this snus is fantastic except the taste--it's got the notes of pepper, citrus and salt common to most General products, but it has an underlying soupçon of burnt rubber or road tar that I don't like at all. Since there are only about 5 snus users in the whole world who don't live in Sweden, and none of them read this blog, I guess I might as well be writing this post on a sticky note, sealing it in a bottle and throwing it into the bay, except Dallas doesn't have a bay. Fucking Dallas.

RATING: Fancy 90%, Taste 20%

(Image from www.snuffexpress.com. They also make a General Onyx Carbon edition, which is like $40 a can and is packaged by the same people who make parts for Porsche. I think this is appropriate, since it tastes strongly of something you'd scrape off the underside of a car.)

9 comments:

DCP said...

So is the main difference between dip and snus that dip goes between your lower lip and gums and snus goes between your upper lip and gums?

Internet John said...

Pretty much. Dip is loose--you have to pack it yourself. Snus is usually teabagged. And with snus you don't have to spit, and it doesn't make you throw up.

I've been doing some research--since Sweden has socialized health care, the government has been working with Swedish snus companies to study snus' ill effects and strictly monitoring what they put into it. It's something like 94% less carcinogenic than cigarettes. (Not true for American snus, which has been a market failure anyway).

I guess something like half of Sweden uses it, and they have one of the lowest rates of oral cancer in the world.

laurie said...

Gross.

Viking Andrew said...

Only morons throw up from dipping.

Internet John said...

@ L
It's not gross--it's actually pretty good. Same kinda burn + rush as coffee, and your lungs don't wheeze when you walk around.

@VA
I don't know if I've ever seen anyone dip who wasn't wearing rubber boots and a mesh back hat. I'll take the Swedes over the shitpokes this time, thx.

Chris said...

I.J., the Swedes are shitpokes.

Internet John said...

Au contraire, mon frère. The Swedes I've met have been pretty sharp. Did you know they actually made a profit off the Second World War?

laurie said...

@IJ: I think I'll stick with coffee for my coffee-like rush.

Richy Rich said...

I only drink coffee that comes out of a civet's ass.