Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Colored* Cigarettes

Sorry your mint mojito cigarettes were outlawed, kids, but have no fear! Now there are cigarettes that look like colored pencils that no grown adult would be caught dead smoking. I guess cigarette companies have stopped even trying to pretend they're not marketing to kids, what with the pastel pink cigarette brand named after a Disney movie, so let's all heave a sigh of relief and buy a pack for a kid you love. I guess in theory I didn't think anyone over the age of 14 and/or born with a dick would want to smoke these, but Facebook proved me wrong -- a friend's 17-year-old sibling staged a nice little photo shoot with friends, each of whom looked elated to be smoking these. I was upset; not because they were smoking, but because Nat Sherman had so publicly pwned them all. There was a guy with a piercing in his face, a guy who had paid money to have someone puncture his face with a needle, sucking on what appeared to be a CoverGirl eyeliner from the 80's. Nat Sherman: 1, Pierced Dude: 0.

*you know I didn't mean it like that... my boyfriend's black!

RATING: 8% (the green one looks pretty)

11 comments:

Internet John said...

I thought he was Chinese.

Since the average American 30 year old is about as mature as a Belgian 14 year old, I'm not sure the whole marketing-to-kids thing isn't jumping to conclusions a bit. The woman who will buy a vibrator shaped like a dolphin may well smoke the Fantasias.

Also, have you seen Fantasia? It's all classical music and dumb ambient scenes where nothing happens.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

This was a p tits review but it was slot to read

Viking Andrew said...

Yeah, great review loco. And I.J, we get it: you hate America, etc.

Internet John said...

What I meant is that it might be hasty to assume that the colors on the cigarettes are primarily and deliberately directed at children, especially in a country where grown men spend more per annum on action figures than kids do.

I actually like Americans, I'm just not made for living among them and it makes me an asshole sometimes. I'll try to be more discreet with it, though. No one likes a sour puss.

Viking Andrew said...

Don't get all vapid on me, IJ. I was trying to pick a fight, trying to egg you into one of your incredibly funny tangents. Anyway, as John Updike once put it, "America is one giant conspiracy to make you happy." Unfortunately, happiness and rigorous intellectual inquiry are all too often like oil and water.

Did I say that, or did John Updike?

Viking Andrew said...

on into

IR said...

I have to admit, I've smoked one of these before. A friend had them in the UK and had unpackaged them for a fancy dress party. I had hoped they would have a special grape flavour (mine was purple) but unfortunately they all tasted the same. I highly doubt people claim Fantasia as their brand, though.

"Parliament?"

"No,thanks. I only smoke Fantasias."

Quammy said...

Is there really a market for novelty cigarettes? Is anyone able to smoke these AND take themselves seriously?

Internet John said...

Yes--third year social psychology students who write sexual advice columns for their school newspaper and homosexual superheroes.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

u said annum

LoCo said...

I wish I could post a screenshot of my friends' siblings photo album... it was a long line of "omg wat r those" "colored cigs" "where did u get them" "the village" "can u get me some?" "maybe."

I can see these being smoked as a joke, but these kids were coveting like crazy. Altho the Sobraine site does say their "cocktail-coloured" cigs are aimed at women who want to appear sexy to men and have fun and show how off how pretty they are or something.