Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Watchmen

To prep myself for the upcoming movie version I decided to reread this book to see if it was as good as I remember, and of course it was. The art is amazing, misogynist Alan Moore's writing is at it's most psychologically complex, and the social relevance to 1980s American jingoism and the reworking of the superhero genre as a whole is as intricate and emotionally powerful as any regular novel could hope to be (disclaimer: I don't read regular novels). One downfall is I'm reassured that it is unfilmable, and looking at Alan Moore's graphic novel-to-movie history, in addition to "visionary" Zack Snyder's resume, I'm doubtful this movie will be anything but a three hour mess. Oh well, the movie's existence doesn't negate the graphic novel's existence, and at least it will bring a whole new audience to what is the third best graphic novel of all time.

RATING: 98%

(As Bryan would say, alternate ending here.)

12 comments:

John said...

98%? You're making the rest of us look bad, fanboy.

Preliminary reports say, "No squid." If Snyder can come up with a better way to conflate Hobbes' Leviathan and H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu into one simultaneously political, organic and classically unheimlich symbol, I'll be impressed.
But we know he won't, because this is fucking Hollywood. He probably came up with the alternate ending in the midst of an all night coke bender with Chris Weitz.

At least there's a new LXG coming out sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of Ironman. Seriously.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey glen i think this review is really gr8 and it makes me want to read more commic boox b/c hey! why not! i can read them on the can at work (best buy)

laurie said...

The nerd level here just went through the roof.

John said...

I just put on red tights. The hipster level should be rising as we speak.

Belabras said...

Eh, I thought it was good, but I've read better.

The pirate subplot is really unnecessary.

Anonymous said...

I hear the blue dude got a penis enlargement thanks to fx. I think he was the guy who dropped the chick from "Weeds" for that chicka from "My So-Called Life" before she deep-sixed his ass for another thespian homey.

John from Daejeon

Anonymous said...

I think you need to re-rank your comics (sorry, graphic novels), "Persepolis" easily tops the Dark Knight, and many critics liked the film version enough to put it in the top five of all films released in 2007.

Yeah, the Iranian backdrop and French language (movie version, but subtitled in English) are a bit off-putting for some, but it blew me away. It's also a bummer that the protagonist is a young girl and the action takes place in Iran instead of Gotham, but girls, and enlightened men, need their heroes too.

J from D

DCP said...

I liked Persepolis a lot, but I sort of felt it didn't have a very cohesive end, or narrative in general. I guess a lot of that has to do with it being nonfiction, but it ultimately isn't something I can see myself coming back to for years in the way that Watchmen or DKR are.

John said...

Glenn's just racist against Iranians on account of they're racist against Arabs.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

THERE ARE LOST OF BOOKS ON TH EBOOKCASE ONE IS TITLE THE INTENERT AND ANOTHER IS TITLE THE DOOR BOKK

PULL OUT THE INTENRRET

PULL OUT DOOR BOOK

IGNORE BOOKS AND GO BACK IN ROOME

Anonymous said...

help i'm so lonely