Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love by "The Beatles"

Love is a remix album of practically a million Beatles songs that was made so some crazy weirdos in leotards could synchronized-jump on trampolines for a lot of money.George and Giles Martin use pretty much only sounds created by the Beatles to make this album, and it's always fun to hear how they're going to change up some classic song. However, the caveat is that they've successfully drained whatever emotion or power existed in the old versions by just making this 70 minute barrage of song clips. I also don't think I believe in the mythology of the Beatles the way this album seems to (a lot of ambient tones and symphonic builds suggest the Beatles are SAVING THE WORLD damnit), but it's a fun listen anyway.

RATING: 63%

5 comments:

Jacqui said...

I actually saw the Cirque Du Soleil show to this in Vegas a few years ago, and it was much better than I thought it would be. It could just be that I liked the soundtrack. Also, it didn't have much of the creepy clowns or contortionists that are usually associated with Cirque Du Soleil shows.

John said...

"The $80 circus."

Jacqui said...

The $80+ circus, actually. Of course, that depends upon where you sit. Luckily, I went with family, so we split the costs. Also, we sat in the nose bleed section.

Chris said...

Just the cover of this album is enough to keep me away from it.

laurie said...

I just realized that I have been looking right past this review all week. Probably because it was Beatles-related. While I appreciate the intrinsic value of the Beatles, I think they are kind of generally boring. But whatever, this album sounds boring too.