Sunday, February 8, 2009

Having a Blackberry

I hear a lot of people bitch about how they hate their Blackberry because it is a leash and everyone expects them to answer email instantly. Well sucks to that. I LOVE having a Blackberry. I see all my email the second it comes in, I can update my facebook status on the go (warning people of the dangers of library pirates), and I get all the R3 comments as soon as they come in, which makes it really obvious when John is alternately posting comments as himself and then Anonymous. The phone also has a calendar/planner, etc. that I don't really use. Oh, and with Google Maps I can always look up a map to where I'm going and usually that gets me where I'm going unless my faggy friend keeps insisting that East is West is vice versa and then we end up walking damn circles around the West Village for half an hour while I'm in four inch heels and knew exactly which way it was from the start but he wouldn't listen thank you very much. Oh and as for the email leash problem, I've found that people will expect you to respond as quickly as your normally do. If you get carried away with your Blackberry and always respond right away they will always expect that, but if you save the quick responses for things that really need a quick response they won't always expect instant gratification. Oh, and yeah it really is addictive. Vive la Crackberry!

Rating (Blackberry): 90%
Rating (Stupid homo friend who doesn't know know East from West): 10%

That fantastic Crackberry photo is from this website.

7 comments:

LoCo said...

So I leave my phone on all night in case there is some Big Emergency and I need to answer it, but I wouldn't want my phone to chirp all night everytime I got an email. But I WOULD want it to chirp during the day. Is this possible?

laurie said...

I have never actually used it, but there is a "phone only" sound setting, which I assume means it rings when you have a call but doesn't beep when you get an email. I'll test it out tomorrow if I don't forget.

John said...

I didn't even see this post between the Instead Cup and the Blackberry Pearl. Kinda weird, considering how long it is.

Anonymous said...

With the 8800 (released about the same time as the Pearl but it's one of the wide sized BlackBerries), you have several "notification" settings, all of which can be customized.

There is also an auto shutdown option that you can set on a timer.

Everything above can also be tweaked if you get the (kind of expensive) magnetic "holster". Aside from giving you lots more notification options, the unit goes automatically goes into power saving mode when in the holster, allowing a respectable time between charges (I can go up to a week if I push it).

I have a BlackBerry for work, and it's fine. I'm not in love or hate with it.

laurie said...

If you're going to start wearing a Blackberry on a holster you may as well start wearing combat boots and listening to the Indigo Girls. Do you see what I'm getting at here? Blackberry holsters are for IT professionals only.

LoCo said...

Or for people with real jobs? I don't fit that bill...

LipstickMom123 said...

I don't think I understand...? Is a black berry a type of lighter?