Monday, February 2, 2009

The Dark Knight Returns

Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns is the definitive Batman story, the best superhero book ever written, and the 2nd best graphic novel/comic of all time. Published in 1986, the pit of the Reagan era, DKR imagines a contemporary Batman in his fifties who has been retired for ten years. Gotham is overrun by mutants who dress like bizarre funhouse versions of 80s punk rockers, news reporters who get giddy at any hint of violence or devastation, and a president (Reagan) who pushes the country to the brink of war by using his charm and the American flag as a ruse. Batman comes back from retirement to ostensibly try to change the hopelessness society is feeling, but more likely because Bruce Wayne is psychotic. Anyway, Frank Miller himself has proven himself to be legitimately insane and a hack in the two decades since DKR was published, but this is still one of the most amazing reads you'll ever have in comic book form. I never cease to be surprised by it, and you owe it to yourself and your economy to go buy a copy of it brothers and sisters.

RATING: 100%

12 comments:

Evan J Peterson said...

I also love this book. Dark Knight Strikes Again, however, was sort of like a mini-free-for-all. Would you review that one next, pwetty pwease?

John said...

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? He's goddamn Frank Miller.

John said...

Ha ha that's just a silly misquote of Miller's Batman, non-nerds. I'm not actually verbally abusing our good colleague.

DCP said...

Oh, I certainly got it. I keep expecting all the terrible things Frank Miller has done since DKR to diminish its greatness, but it never happens.

Evan, don't worry - I'll get to DKSA in a couple weeks at the very least.

John said...

I knew you'd get it--it was your myspace quote for a long time, after all. I was more worried about the non-comic readers thinking I was just being a rude asshole.

laurie said...

I say this with much love, but you guys are fucking dorks. (And yes, I see the irony that this comes from a woman who reviewed Underworld: Rise of the Lycans two days ago.)

Belabras said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Belabras said...

I never heard much good about All Star Batman, but that quote is seriously epic John.

Jacqui said...

"...all the terrible things Frank Miller has done since DKR..."

You mean like directing that atrocious movie, The Spirit? I'm still not over what a disappointment that movie was. Oh well. Maybe I can make up for it by re-reading The Dark Knight Returns.

PS-I want my $9.00 back, Mr. Miller.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

who the f deleted there comment that shitz effin bs

Chris said...

Oh, I get it. You gave something 100%. Can I borrow your copy? Unless Obama has plans to subsidize the cost of graphic novels then I'm kind of in a tough spot.

LipstickMom123 said...

Wow! 100 is a lot of percents! Are you sure there isnt anything better on the planet Glen?