Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pomegranates

I usually buy a pomegranate in the fall, then I dry it out over the winter on a little altar and ritually burn it in the spring along with stuff I don't want anymore--old journals, used up tarot decks, sad letters, sacrificed tobacco that's all dried out, etc. I bought one the other day thinking I would do the same as usual, but after reading Chris' post I decided to eat it instead.

Eating a pomegranate is sort of like smoking a cigar--there's no half-assing it, and you'll almost certainly get sick of it before you're done. The seeds look cool, like little rubies (or maybe big rubies, since I'd be happy if I had a real ruby that size), but the hard parts get stuck in your teeth and can ball up in your mouth into a big, bitter, um, ball. It tastes pretty good, but the rind tastes like shit and dries your mouth out, and it gets all over your hands, then onto the seeds and onto your tongue. While eating the second half, I just took all the seeds off the rind at once and put them into a bowl. That worked better, although I still got pomegranate juice all over my hoodie. I'll cut some arm holes in a garbage bag next time.

RATING: 78%

(Image from playgirlmag.files.wordpress.com.)

2 comments:

Chris said...

I like pomegranates.

Especially when they're formed into sugary balls wrapped around a chocolate center on a stick.

100% of your daily Vitamin C per serving.

John said...

Apparently they increase blood flow to your penis, too, although I sure didn't have an exceptional night last night. It's probably more noticeable when there's females around.