Monday, November 10, 2008

Friends by The Beach Boys

This is a Beach Boys album a lot of people like to shit on because it sounds like every other rock album in the 60's, but I like this album because there's some great songs that break the mold of a typical Beach Boys album. I mean, back then everyone was doing crazy shit and practicing transcendental meditation, so what did you expect? This is the most chill Beach Boys album, and I think it's great. Particularly "Busy Doin' Nothin'" is probably one of the best Beach Boys songs ever.

RATING: 81%

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who digs Friends. "Meant For You" is 42seconds of divinity and it leads into one of the finest waltzes I've ever heard, "Friends".

I also like that Denny Wilson began to come into his own around that time. "Little Bird" is a particularly strong track. I love the skating rink organ on "When a Man Needs a Woman". The only thing that leaves me scratching my head about this album is how it's SO laid back for most of the album, then it ends with the cacophonous "Transcendental Meditation". There's a song that doesn't match its title.

Still yet, Friends is a fine piece of work. The "two-fer" disc of Friends and 20/20 is one of my favorites. I LOVE all of its extra tracks: "Breakaway", "Celebrate the News", "We're Together Again", "Walk On By", and the medley of "Old Folks at Home/Ol' Man River".

Chris said...

"Transcendental Meditation" is probably one of my least favorite Beach Boys tracks. Mostly because it's out of place on the album. But on the whole Friends is a terrific album. I should have mentioned "Meant For You" because it's definitely a favorite of mine.

While I enjoy the Friends/20/20 disc, I'm a bigger fan of Smiley Smile/Wild Honey and Sunflower/Surf's Up (Dennis Wilson singing "Slip On Through"...awesome) as a combo. But you're right "Friends" is a particularly great album to see Dennis finally make a mark for himself in the band.