Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Spaghetti

Spaghetti (or as we Italians like to call it, "Spaghetti") inspires in me a love so profound that I struggle to express it in words. I know that comfort food is supposed to conjure up images of macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and soup or whatever, but for me, the most comforting meal I can imagine is just a big bowl of spaghetti. If I was told I could only choose one food on which to base all meals for the rest of my life, I would choose balsamic steak. But that might get a bit pricey, and these are hard economic times we're living in, so my second choice would definitely be spaghetti. At $1-2 a package, you can feed 3-4 people on the cheap. Spaghetti loves to be dressed up, and she's very accommodating -- tomato sauce? Sure. Pesto? Why not. Some garlic browned in olive oil? Yes please. If you are cooking spaghetti and you're not sure if it's done, you can throw a strand of it at a wall and if it sticks, you're good to go. Spaghetti has gotten fancy during the extravagant Bush era, and now comes in wheat, Omega-3, and calcium varieties. But I don't discriminate. Each little squiggly strand has my everlasting devotion.

RATING: 99%

7 comments:

John said...

I like spaghetti, although penne is my favorite. I don't eat a lot of pasta, but when I do it hits the spot. Sun dried tomatoes and lots of garlic are key. Sometimes I put habaneros or chopped olives in my pasta sauce too.

Anonymous said...

I echo John's recommendation of sun dried tomatoes. Love 'em.

I do laugh a bit, though, because if you take one 'n' out of 'penne', you have 'pene', which means 'penis' in Spanish. I have some Spanish speaking friends who can't ask for that pasta with a straight face.

Aside from spaghetti, I'm a rotini fan, too.

Loco, do you make your own sauce or buy it from the store?

Anonymous said...

hey internet jon do you find there sany difference between organic and regular tomatos when making the sauce i like the orgranics

*sips wine in leisure suit*
*raises eyeborw*

Anonymous said...

(trying to impress glen he thinks im dum

John said...

What kind of animal eats regular tomatoes?

I do find that organic tomatoes do go really well with cabernet sauvignon and a big pile of fresh, crisp money.

Anonymous said...

i sip my wine while reading proost (sp?)

LoCo said...

I don't make my own sauce often, although I *will* take suggestions from the back of the Barilla box.