Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Disgaea 3

Disgaea 3 is the third in the series of Disgaea games - which are Japanese turn-based strategy games for Playstation. The central conceit of the game is that there are several netherworlds, and...you know what, explaining the central conceit of a game like this just makes it seem sillier than it already is. Maybe I should try explaining that it's an extraordinarily simple game that you can drop hundreds and hundreds of hours into in order to try and level your characters up to level 9999 and defeat the difficult post-game enemies...nope, that's not any better.

How about this: the game's graphics are not good, the comedy is simple, but it's extremely engrossing and fun, and I've probably dumped 200 some-odd hours into the game over the last half-year. Looking back on it, I'm always a little regretful that I've spent so much time playing a tremendously goofy video game instead of doing something more productive, but really, what else would I have done?

RATING: 87% (which means that it's better than the poster for Rachel Getting Married, but worse than Action Moves)

5 comments:

John said...

"...but really, what else would I have done?"

Breed chocobos, of course.

DCP said...

Is this the series where your character has to shoot himself in the head to get his powers?

Bryan said...

No, that's Persona - and it's not every Persona game, just the third one. And no, it's not actually shooting himself in the head - it just looks like it. I'm surprised the crazy evangelical watchdog groups don't get more riled up about this sort of thing, but, at the same time, I'm glad they don't.

laurie said...

This reminds me of the time I beat Kingdom Hearts. It was my roommate's game. My roommate at that time of course being Glenn. Let me just say that again, Glenn owns Kingdom Hearts.

DCP said...

Not anymore. And I gave up on it by Alice In Wonderland world, so you obviously got a lot farther than I did.