Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Anvil Bar & Refuge

It's not a Bar & Grill, you common slime, it's a Bar & Refuge. A refuge from what, though? Surely not a refuge from the scene, as when I stumbled into this place, I was happy I stumbled in wearing Betsey Johnson. Trendy little scenesters crowded the sparse leather seating, and the bar itself was packed -- some people even had to wait in line outside the bar, like we were in a real city or something! But despite the fact that I think I'm just too old for posturing, I did thoroughly enjoy the drinks at this place. They're all about mixology. A bartender handed me a paper menu and I asked for a First Growth -- try saying that one three times, fast. From what I could tell, it was pineapple juice and gin, but the bartender shook my drink so vigorously and poured it with such love through the most delicate strainer into my itsy cocktail glass, garnishing it with a shapely sage leaf. I felt utterly taken care of. Later I had a Pimm's Cup, and the bartender spent literally three minutes making it -- he beat the hell out of some cucumbers and handed me a drink that looked like a mother's day plant. I'm told the drinks are strong, but I'm too Irish to be able to tell anymore. The Curve tastes like delightfully alcoholic Scope, and the Pisco Sour looks like an elaborate dessert. I'm no scenester, but despite the Manhattan-circa-2004 prices -- $8-$9 for specialty cocktails -- I would return. It's refreshing to go to a bar without rats running overhead.

RATING: 82%

12 comments:

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

sex and the review blog

Chris said...

I think the scene will settle some once it's been open for a while. There's no other place like it in Houston, and it's going to be interesting to see how people adapt to the scene. A lot of the people will filter out over time and create a more defined clientèle.

John said...

I've never been a cocktail guy. Since I inevitably black out and pass out face down on a concrete surface whenever I drink hard liquor, I usually just take it straight.

I will have an afternoon absinthe and champagne party when I get back to Canada, though.

LoCo said...

There was some cocktail there with absinthe but I didn't want to go there.

Chris said...

Yeah, their Sazerac uses Absinthe, instead of Herbsaint. Apparently Absinthe was the original anise-flavored component of a Sazerac, until Herbsaint was created as an alternative to the later outlawed Absinthe.

John said...

Jesus Christ, Chris, do you have some sort of gourmand chip in our head?

LoCo said...

Yesterday Chris was getting all scientific about Guinness cans and I was seriously impressed at the depth of his knowledge.

John said...

Oops. I meant "your head," obviously.

Chris said...

"Live to Drink. Drink to Live."

That's my motto.

Chris said...

And I love that the drinks are strong there, but you can't tell until like the fourth one, and then you're drunk as shit.

DCP said...

I thought that was Dracula's motto.

Viking Andrew said...

@Glenn:
Lame.