Thursday, April 16, 2009

Taxi Driver soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann

Bernard Herrmann did a lot of terrific movie soundtracks in his life (Psycho, The Day The Earth Stood Still, some Sinbad bullshit), but I think his last, Taxi Driver, is his best. A collage of disturbing brass and percussion builds mixed with a whining saxophone melody, this music fits the psychological tenor of the movie perfectly. According to everybody who has ever talked about this soundtrack, Herrmann agreed to score this film based solely on the scene where Travis Bickle pours brandy on his corn flakes. I guess we should be glad Herrmann liked the sauce (died age 64)?

RATING: 79%

4 comments:

laurie said...

I'm sorry I can't read your review because I'm too busy trying to figure out what's in that picture up there on our new logo...

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

yea sometimes wen i see the new logos i feel like i hit another of the many r3s

Sue said...

is that raw or rotten meat? gross man.

Robyn said...

I bet John Tesh is up for a sax-off!