Monday, April 6, 2009

Gibson Thunderbird IV

THE GOOD: The Thunderbird looks hella cool, like something Tommy might have wielded against the Bloody Hun during the Battle of Britain. $1,499 is also relatively cheap for a Gibson.

THE BAD: The headstock and body are so poorly balanced that the top end nosedives whenever you let go of the neck. It's also breakable, says John Entwistle (God rest his soul), but so are lots of other basses when you let a drunk Keith Moon (R.I.P.) knock them over. My biggest complaint about the Thunderbird is its sound, or lack thereof: remember the bass on Toxicity? 13th Step? Neither does anyone else. Basically, the T-bird's stock passive humbuckers sound flabby, muddy, and loose like wile bowels. I'd go as far as to suggest that you might get clearer low mids by standing pantless in front of a Shure SM57 and flossing your own ass with a length of brake cable.

THE BOTTOM LINE: You could probably save the T-Bird's dismal tone with a parametric EQ, but why bother? If you wanted to stand around twiddling your knob all day, you'd be a singer/guitarist, right?

RATING: 40%

(Image from www.zikinf.com.)

13 comments:

The Ghost of John Enwistle said...

I died of a cocaine-induced heart attack in bed with a stripper. Don't take the piss, laddy.

John said...

John Entwistle, you were hard as fuck, and your buzzard bass is a rock machine, but you'd have to be on an awful lot of cocaine to play a T-bird for as long as you did.

Viking Andrew said...

Yeah, I always thought Entwistle was underrated. But, hey: he was a fucking bassist. What about Jack Bruce? For some reason I had about a two year love affair with the Gibson EB-3. Then I asked what happens when I quit playing bass and start getting real.

The answer is severe ennui.

Viking Andrew said...

Also, the Hun is catching a lot of flak lately on R3.

John said...

Never played an EB-3, although I hear it has similar problems with balance. I'm not sure why Gibson has such a hard on for tiny bodies, massive headstocks. RE: Jack Bruce, I've never been exposed to much Cream either.

Hey, I hear Foucault was a big fan of Cream.

John said...

And severe ennui.

Robyn said...

I can't wait to watch him twiddle his knob!

John said...

Yeah, Paul Stanley's knob is special because it's a vagina.

Robyn said...

Whatever, his guitar will conceal his huge boner while he serenades "the H-dot"!

John said...

By "H-dot" do you mean "H'another man's anus?" Because that sounds just like the Paul Stanley I know.

John said...

I should be careful, I suppose. The KISS corporation probably has more lawyers than the Scientologists.

John said...

Plus, there's nothing wrong with serenading another man's anus. I saw Tom Green do it on his show once and it was tits as fuck.

Boo said...

No no, hunn-ay, you're thinking of the H-SPOT!