Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Smarties (US Candy)

In America, Smarties are a sort of fruit but mainly chalk flavored candy that you pretty much only see around Halloween. I used to really love these, because they are pretty much like sugar pills and you get a major rush if you eat more than one roll. However, my family bought a ton of these to hand out at Halloween right after we moved to Lake "Bible Belt" City, Florida, thinking Halloween would be a huge holiday like in the old country. Wrong! It turns out everybody is scared that dressing up like a hobo or slutty nurse will help Satan wrest souls away so pretty much nobody went trick or treating. So we had a million of these things left over and you guys can probably figure out where this story is going. It turns out I don't have a lot of restraint when it comes to candy and I ate a ton of them over the following week and now I don't so much love them the end. In sum, Americans need to learn how to have Halloween fun already, Jesus.

RATING: 70%

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going as a hobo or a slutty nurse this year?

Chris said...

"Ce De Candy, Inc. is part of a family tradition of candy that started in England in 1932. In 1949, our Chairman came to America with the dream of making Ce De Candy, Inc. a part of our childhood traditions."

That's directly from Smarties.com. So they're manufactured in America, but potato tomato, you know.

John said...

In Canada, smarties are like M&M's but much more popular and heavily marketed. In fact, I think the M&M slogan "melts in your mouth, not in your hand" is a direct shot at smarties, which do in fact melt in your hand.

DCP said...

This year I'm going as a slutty hobo.

Chris, are we calling the bet a draw, then?

John, I think I prefer the chocolate Smarties to M&Ms, mainly because their candy shell is thicker. Of course, M&Ms have almond variety, which wins a lot of points with me.

laurie said...

Maybe the Lake Citians just didn't want to come to your house because you were the only arabs in the country club, because there was (and still is) crazy trick-or-treating going on in my neighborhood.

Chris said...

I'll take a draw. It could be argued equally either way, I believe.

Chocolate Smarties most definitely originated in England. Anyone willing to make a wager on that?

laurie said...

What the fuck are chocolate smarties?

John said...

They're what the rest of the world is eating.

LoCo said...

You can get them in chi-chi English shops like Meyer's of Keswick (where my roommate used to work). British Kit-Kats are yummy.