Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Nasher Sculpture Center

The Nasher Sculpture Center is right across the street from the Dallas Museum of Art in downtown Dallas. Admission was $10 per person, but it's free on the first Saturday of the month. It was worth the trip just for James Turrell's Tending (Blue), the only site-specific piece at the Nasher and one of the most refreshing things I've seen in a long time. There was also a nice Rodin in the outdoor garden, and an interesting piece by Antony Gormley called Quantum Cloud XX. I didn't really care for much of the other stuff: there were a few tumorous Henry Moores, some Picassos (overrated, if you ask me) and some truly nasty De Koonings. I like modern art and even some modern sculpture, but I'm not a big fan of ugly sculpture.

RATING: 100%--Multiple Rodins and a Turrell installation for $10 is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

(Image from farm3.static.flickr.com.)

7 comments:

Chris said...

If you come to Houston before Halloween we should go see the new exhibition by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders at the MFAH (if you like photography). Not that I know shit about art, but I want to go anyway. If not, there's a badass sculpture by a Chinese artist there. I hope it's still there. If I was rich I'm sure I'd buy it.

PS - The museum is free every Thursday.

Chris said...

By "the museum" I mean the one in Houston.

John said...

I don't know shit about art either. Most good art, i.e. figurative art, traditional art, honest art is easy to understand--it looks like what it's supposed to mean, and any elaborate explanation is inherent in the craft and the style. Even when it's mysterious or understated, it gives the viewer a "way in," so to speak.

It's only when you get into the weirder modern and especially postmodern stuff that a blob that looks like a dick or a dismembered female torso or an aluminum can with a turd in it need to have 3 page theoretical justifications. Fuck I hate po-mo.

Chris said...

I think there's something to be said when a piece is placed into its' proper context, and that's easy to miss in a museum setting. Many times I've enjoyed something more because of the role it played in society (then and now), rather than its' aesthetic appeal.

Still, I believe if you like it you like it.

DCP said...

I like that you wrote that comment more intellectually in an earlier draft, and then dumbed it down.

John said...

Nobody likes a deleted comment narc, Glenn. Shouldn't you be writing some posts on your blog or rehearsing for karaoke or something?

Chris said...

Damn. I was worried someone might catch me revising that comment. I hate to revise things, but my ultimate fear in life is sounding overly pretentious.