Monday, October 20, 2008

The Amityville Horror (2005)

I don't have the automatic revulsion for remakes that a lot of people do; John Carpenter's The Thing was great, Evil Dead 2 was basically a remake of Evil Dead and it was good, and there were even some scenes of the Dawn Of The Dead remake that I thought were really terrific. Also, I thought the original Amityville Horror was pretty boring. So I felt that a high budget modern remake of a classic ghost story would be pretty good but I was wrong and it sucks. For instance we see ghosts all the time, even when the characters don't. I mean, we don't go more than fifteen seconds without there being a ghost behind somebody and the sudden loud sound of a midi orchestra. There's more fear in what we don't see, movies these days, ok? Well, I guess the lesson is that real life ghosts are probably scary, but the only scary ghost movie ever made is Poltergeist.

RATING: 19%

5 comments:

John said...

My old DVD player had a broken timer, and it used to come on downstairs by itself at all hours of the night. I found under those circumstances (going downstairs in the pitch black to turn off some horror movie that came on by itself at 3 in the morning at full volume) lots of ghost movies can be scary. Like that one Cookers about crystal meth addicts who get killed by ghosts who are basically people in green makeup. Or Darkness which everyone but me thought was retarded.

The new Amityville was bad though. I didn't see the old one, although if you thought it was boring, it might be right up my alley.

Anonymous said...

Glenn, the presence of the word "Amity" in Amityville, and your correct claim that "there's more fear in what we don't see" leads me to ask you this question: Have you or will you review the original Jaws?

Anonymous said...

MFA IN PEOTRY

Chris said...

What bothered me most were the gratuitous shots of Ryan Reynolds ripped body.

Jacqui said...

Ditto to Poltergeist being only the scary ghost movie ever made.