Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse

This is an album of music that is meant for listening, and it is pretty good. It is abrasive, angry, and sloppy, and something like seventy minutes long. It's perfect for road trips because of its length, and also because it has a lot of lyrical and musical motifs that recur throughout the album. It gets a little boring near the end, but that might be because my CD starts skipping there who knows. Although this music is good, I don't think I would ever want to be friends with the lead singer because he seems like he gets in a lot of fights and drinks too much and would be way too needy but whatevs the album's great. Hard to believe they followed this two albums later with the totally accessible Good News For People Who Love Bad News, not that being accessible is a crime, but there's just such a major difference in style.

RATING: 82%

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The greatest title for an album. I'm still angry at them for coming up with it. Wish I could steal it so bad.

DCP said...

Yeah, all their titles are excellent. Maybe they're the rock band equivalent of my poetry. Mediocre music with great titles. That's about as conceited as I get.

John said...

I thought We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank was sort of like a mix between their older and newer stuff. Not that it's nearly as rough as LCW, or any of their old stuff for that matter, but it's not as slick and poppy as Good News.

Anonymous said...

yo internet jon and glen you guys see the fight too posts down got that motherfcker on the run

Anonymous said...

(andrew brinininsool your invited too didnt wanna be rude)

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard the new album, but your post makes me want to pick it up. Modest Mouse has made it on many MacEachern cartrips...vomit and all.
I like lead singer. He forces me to appreciate the people I know who are almost as crazy as he, but not quite. You know the ones, a lot of fun to be around, but almost a liability.

Anonymous said...

I should edit before I post. Or not post at 7am.

Chris said...

Well they took their name from a Virginia Woolf story, so I can understand the semi-pretentious album titles (but fuck, they are good).

Their best album is still The Moon & Antarctica.

Anonymous said...

spaeking of the dallas stars, heh

John said...

I rike read singer too. He handsome boy.

"Sloppy seconds." Heh heh heh. Even a hockey player should be smart enough to figure out that you don't say that kind of stuff in public.

Anonymous said...

whos robyn

John said...

Some girl I knocked up. She thinks we're, like, "married" or something. Little does she know, my heart belongs to Jesus.

Anonymous said...

me to, Jes*s has my hart, head and fist

John said...

That's the best link I've ever clicked on in my entire life. I feel like a new man.

LoCo said...

Modest Mouse's album titles are all emo-y and make me roll my eyes. ESPECIALLY the last album. I got it for free because I had to review it and I couldn't give it away fast enough. Andrew, you already have better titles than The Whatever Whatever West. In short, there are too many white people making music.

Anonymous said...

caucasian american

DCP said...

Hey, where'd all the other comments go on this one?