Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Clockwork Orange

#38 on Glenn's Top 100 Movie List

Whoopsie daisy! I forgot to put any Kubrick films on this list until now, which means there will be a ton in the next 37 reviews on my top 100. This movie is the ten billionth movie set in a dystopian future to appear on my list. Maybe I have a bleak world view. It's directed by Stanley Kubrick, which means it is visually stunning, and the moral of the movie is don't beat up or rape people kids. So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

RATING: 93%

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Knowing is half the battle. Go, Joe!

Until I saw this movie, I thought the other half of the battle was committing rape and assault, and listening to Ludwig Van. Luckily, with a bit of help from our friends at the Ludovico Institute, and a special cocktail called Serum 114, I learned the error of my ways, o my brother (in law).

P.S. Just showed Paths of Glory and Strangelove to my seniors. They dug 'em the most.

laurie said...

I am disturbed by how flippantly you address the rape and violence. Sounds like you have been emotionally numbed to violence because of violent films and video games. This displeases me.

John said...

There's nothing funny about rapism, guys.

John said...

"No time for the old in-out, luv, I'm just here to read the meter."

Anonymous said...

As George Carlin once said, rape CAN be funny. It's all about context.
Example: "Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
"I know what you're sayin': 'Elmer was askin' for it...'"

Louis CK also seems to subscribe to the "rape can be funny" credo, given his idea that if he could go back in time, he wouldn't kill Hitler; he'd rape Hitler. "If he had been raped by me, he never would have pulled any of that stuff, man." It would result in Hitler having low self-esteem.
Hitler Minion: "Shall we invade Poland?"
Hitler: "No, I I'll just go have a shower; I don't feel good."

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

rap music