Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Am Legend

Do you like depressing movies starring Will Smith? Well, apparently everybody does, since that's the only kind of movies he makes anymore. Anyway, I thought all my friends told me this movie blew, but it was alright mostly. The plot is 28 Days Later happens in New York, except Will Smith is some fancypants immune scientist. The first half of this movie is actually great, and Smith basically holds down the fort of being the only non-monster alive in New York by talking to his dog and mannequins. Then monsters start happening and it's not as good because the effects are terrible, but all the barren, lonely stuff is good so why not check it out if you like seeing New York get fucked up like apparently everybody does.

RATING: 61%

10 comments:

LoCo said...

But the question is, what kind of dog is he abandoned with? And is the dog as engaging as Wilson the Volleyball?

John said...

1) Mike Patton of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle fame did the vampire noises in that movie.

2) The movie doesn't have the clever ending of the story, and was horrible.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

the title of this movie doesn't have good grammer. i disapprove of poor grammer.

laurie said...

Everyone told me this was terrible, too, but I liked it so fuck those jerks. Yeah it was kind of cheesy in parts, but I whatever, I was entertained.

Chris said...

I liked this movie. I had no idea from the trailers it was about zombies.

I thought it was kind of badass, and also made me realize I felt like Will Smith. Very lonely.

shoppista said...

I thought the lonely-New-York parts were great, but not the vampire/zombie (zampire? vombie?) special effects or the "it's a magical butterfly proving the existence of God" ending.

Chris said...

I just wonder what happened after Smith died.

I think Romero should make a flick that shows us what happens after everyone turns into a zombie. Do they evolve and learn to forage for food? Or do they just continue to aimlessly wander? I think the sequel would have a man from space (or really the past!) come back to Earth and have to deal with evolved zombies.

Bam, I just wrote a box office hit.

DCP said...

In the original cut Will Smith realized that the vambies actually were sentient, communicated with each other, and had relationships, so essentially he was a mass murderer for experimenting on/killing them. That didn't test as well with audiences as him blowing himself up with a grenade.

Bryan said...

Well, god forbid they go with the ending that gave the book its name.

LoCo said...

EW butterfly ending EW. Is the fact that Will Smith is making all of these super-cheesy movies proof positive that he's finally signed on to Sc!entology?