Sunday, February 17, 2008

Glenn

For my inaugural post here on Reviews, I've decided to review Glenn. Glenn is a pretty cool guy and a good friend. He'll be there for you if you need a ride to the pet store to buy worms for your ungrateful lizard or if your asshole boyfriend breaks up with you and you need to call someone and hysterically cry in the middle of the night, so I guess you could say he has a good range of supportive abilities (way better than a jock strap, which from what I can tell, only supports one area). He also has frequently has candy at his house or on his person and if you can get him to admit that he has it, he will usually share with you. And finally, I can't decide if this is a good thing or bad, but it goes without saying that Glenn is a giant nerd. I mean, it's nice to have a friend who understands references to Dr. Who and Star Trek, and who I can call if I just want to ask if Spiderman went to college (I actually did that once!), but sometimes I wonder if there is such a thing as too nerdy. And then I listen to Weezer's "In The Garage" and remember that I love nerds, so that's impossible. Therefore, Glenn is tops, two thumbs up, a fresh tomato.

Just realized I'm supposed to give a percentage rating. I guess we'll give Glenn about an 85%. Better than most stuff, but not the really great stuff like kinky sex and beer. Although too much of him rarely leaves me puking into a bucket while my friends enjoy the last few hours of my birthday party so he might actually rate higher than beer.

10 comments:

DCP said...

Awww, that's so kind. Would you give me a percentage ranking higher or lower than headaches?

laurie said...

Definitely lower. Headaches are the best.

John said...

I'd give Glenn a 99, which is actually an 85 in Canada. This one time he came to help pick up gross, wormy old drop apples to raise money for gay-ass ringette even though he wasn't even in it (his parents had the good sense not to put their son in women's sports) and he complained so much that the country folk started to give us dirty looks and we got to go home early. It was awesome.

DCP said...

I remember that. I really hated it for some reason. I think the country folk were especially mean for some reason, and it felt like some kind of punishment the whole time. Glad to offer my services.

John said...

Somerset folk like to think that townies are somehow spoiled and inauthentic, especially doctors' kids, like we've never had to do anything for ourselves. Not to disparage the hard work that farmers do, because that's it's an important and tough job, but no one put a gun to their head and made them buy an apple orchard. Anyone not rich can get full student loans for anything in Canada. I've experienced similar resentment playing team sports (and at that cub scout mini alert) when the jock son of the jock dad coaching the team would be like, "Hey rich kid, think you're pretty cool, eh?" And I always wondered why they said stuff like that, because it's not like I ever had lots of cool toys or the newest gear, and I hated sports and I was always shy. But now I'm pretty sure it was just repressed envy and insecurity translated into self-righteous populist indignation.

Anonymous said...

God! This apple orchard story is a reminder as to why I've tried to stay clear of sports. Not sure how good this is for my health, but sanity wise: I think it may have proved beneficial.

Also, I would rank Glenn higher than headaches, but pears. I'm not so sure I would rank him higher than pears.

Jacqui

laurie said...

What the hell is ringette?

DCP said...

It's like hockey except your stick has no blade and instead of a puck there is a rubber ring that you have to put your stick in to control.

John said...

Le mot juste. Gays and homophobes alike could pretty much agree on how that sounds.

laurie said...

Yeah that game sounds totally gay.