Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Star Trek: Conquest

Well I shoulda known this would be a bad game because a) it is a Star Trek game and there hasn't been a good one in 14 years and b) it is a strategy game which I hate to begin with. The problem is if they put the name Star Trek on a jar of pickled onions I would still buy it, the joke being I hate pickled onions (9%). Anyway, the graphics suck, the story is literally "Everybody hates each other, there is no diplomacy, let's fight!," and the gameplay hideously boring. So don't buy this one except I did forget to mention it's only $15 new, so that was nice, except it shoulda been another sign it was a bad game.

RATING: 23%

6 comments:

John said...

Remember the Star Trek game for gameboy, where you had to fight that indestructible thing that looked like a giant poop log? I'm trying to picture the gameplay in my head and I keep getting it mixed up with Super R-Type.

DCP said...

It was the Doomsday Machine. I liked that game to be honest. It was a lot truer to the series than a lot of games recently have been. It didn't look much like super R-Type though. Except that it was a side-scroller.

John said...

It's a retrieval problem in my brain. I've mixed up the algorithmic seeds that generate the gestalt of memory. I think it's because the *click* sound of the ineffective photon torpedos against the Doomsday Machine were the same as some sound in Super R-Type, and, as you mentioned, they're both side scrollers.
I'm surprised I couldn't remember the name of that thing, because I had a pretty sweet ST:TNG novel written by Peter David that had the Doomsday machine in it. He was (and may still be) a great comic writer--like Moore, he has a knack for depicting characters with warmth, humour and humanity.

DCP said...

Oh yeah, I remember that novel. The Doomsday Machines were made by some alien race to destroy the Borg or something? I think it was called Vendetta. Peter David is still a pretty great comic writer. Right now he's writing X-Factor and She Hulk.

Anonymous said...

Is it more fun to kill Ferengis or the Borg?

DCP said...

I didn't get far enough to kill anybody except Klingons and Cardassians.