Sunday, February 24, 2008

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

I know I am behind the comics curve to have just read this this weekend, so sue me. Anyway, I think it's highly overrated. The art is beautiful, of course, and when it was written a billionty years ago (1989) it was totally revolutionary to have a graphic novel be painted like that. However, I feel that Batman is a total wimp in this book. Like for instance, he needs to be saved from one doctor with a scalpel, and also the book is kind of boring, although the subplot with the crazy founder of Arkham is pretty good.

RATING: 46%

2 comments:

Jen said...

I read this without enough Batman historical context. I only knew about the bad guys I'd seen in movies by then--The Joker, Cat Woman, the Penguin, that Two-Faced guy, and whoever Arnold played. Maybe I'm forgetting some, but I hadn't seen the new one with Scarecrow yet. Anyway, the art was too crazy to figure out what was going on, although it was cool to look at. And I seem to remember that at one point Batman is being chased around by that giant stuffed crocodile from Hook. I think that's when it lost me.

DCP said...

You're totally right - while the art is pretty, it does make it almost impossible to follow. I guess it was a nice experiment that I wish I read in the store instead of buying.