Wednesday, December 9, 2009

25 Days or Less of Christmas Songs - #9: Candy Cane Children

The White Stripes' "Candy Cane Children" was released in 2002 on a Christmas themed 7" single (the b-side featured a reading of the story of the magi and a candid rendition of "Silent Night"). Despite being a cover, the song's lyrics feature some themes that reoccur in other White Stripes songs (ie: children, guns). Since I genuinely like this song, I really don't have anything snarky to say about it. Man, I'm starting to think this project was a bad idea.

Rating: Candy canes% (what else would it be?)

(Image from Wikipedia)

6 comments:

Internet Robyn said...

This is a great project. You can't fail. Just think about Mariah Carey and your fire will be refueled.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

reoccur

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

hey yall shld review that new mtv show about the jersey wops having sex and drinking and getting stds its a p. cool show.

I.J. said...

You can do it, Quammy. It says, "Or less," and you haven't even got to "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" yet.

Quammy said...

It's funny, when I started the project, I thought I'd be able to just pick a bunch of shitty tunes and lay the snark down. Then I half thought I should pick songs that don't entirely suck, but the story behind all these songs is essentially the same. Released on [single/compilation], blah, blah, blah. I'm gonna try to stick with it, only because I know what the piece de resistance will be for the last entry.

i.j. said...

You don't have to tell the story if you don't want to. Just make up some bullshit or say something offensive instead.