Wednesday, December 2, 2009

25 Days or Less of Christmas Songs - #2: Wonderful Christmastime

One year for Christmas, Paul McCartney got some sleigh bells, a synthesizer, and a big bag of weed. Sometime later, in a foggy (yet festive) haze, he came up with the delightful "Wonderful Christmastime." If you don't believe me about the weed part, it should be noted that the b-side to the song's 1979 single was a track called "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reggae." Though all of the former Beatles would go on to record Christmas-themed songs individually, McCartney's song is especially remarkable because it does not suck and/or make you want to kill yourself.

Rating: A bowl of red and green M&M's%

(Image from irvinehousingblog.com)

9 comments:

Belabras said...

Eh, I prefer Lennon's Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

DCP said...

This is the worst Christmas song and worst Paul McCartney song, and both are fairly remarkable feats.

Quammy said...

@Glenn

Worse than "Christmas Shoes"? I find that hard to believe.

I.J. said...

I'd say it's a tie between the two for sucking and making one want to kill oneself. The only way out of the bottle, so to speak, is for Paul McCartney to remake the video with Rob Lowe.

Timmaaay!!! said...

I like "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" by George Harrison, but it's more of a New Year's song...

LoCo said...

OMG that Lennon song. Is there anything worse than children singing an off-key chorus?

laurie said...

I love this song. It makes me hate Christmas a tiny bit less.

Quammy said...

I don't recommend ever listening to the song "Christmas Shoes," but if you haven't heard it and you want to know more about the song, Patton Oswalt has a great stand-up bit about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY

I.J. said...

"Buddha gave me a handjob in the hot tub."