Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Brothers Bloom

I wanted to like The Brothers Bloom, I really did. I have a big crush on Adrien Brody (did you know he's banned from SNL?), enjoy comedy, and generally want independent movies to be great. While this "globe-trotting comedy about the last great adventure of the world's greatest con men" was better than most mainstream movies I've seen this year (but not sexy sexy Star Trek, of course), it was also extremely predictable and felt pretty ripped off from other movies. For example, a scene where Brody wins the heart of the quirky Garden State-equse female love interest by getting hit by her car was straight out of Back to the Future (full disclosure, my date is the one who noticed this). All in all, it played out like a bad Wes Anderson wanna be (not helped by the fact that it has one of the stars of The Darjeeling Limited on a travel adventure). Yeah, sorry, as cute as this was, this shit was played harder than your dad played your mom last night.

Rating: 60%

6 comments:

Chris said...

Garden State-esque?

RATING: 0%

laurie said...

@Chris: Yeah, that pretty much summed it up. You know what it also sort of reminded me of? Harold and Maude. There weren't any old ladies, but it had that sort of 70s quirk to it. Oh, and there was a Cat Stevens song in it, which my date and I appropriately mocked. Man, this movie sucked. 60% may have been too generous.

@Everyone else: Get your asses over here and leave comments already. And no, "I haven't seen this movie" is not an excuse. I leave comments on your posts all the time even when I have no frame of reference at all.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

i havent seen this movie and youv never left a coment on my post

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

(i got a post for you, heh)

laurie said...

@R Kelley tag: No thanks, I'm not into water sports.

John from Daejeon said...

Which one's Brian?