Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Sting

#27 on Glenn's Top 100 Movie List

Speaking of Robert Shaw, The Sting is about a couple of hucksters who want to con this mean rich guy out of a lot of money during the olden times when there was no such thing as stealing or crime (according to old white people). Like all great caper movies, you forget all the little details of the scheme, so every time you watch it it's like watching it click together for the first time. It's a great movie, and I bet if the internet was around in the 70s in the way it is today there'd be a lot of Newman/Redford slash fic out there, thought to be fair I bet there's probably a bunch anyway (I'm not checking).

RATING: 90%

9 comments:

I.J. said...

It's no Ocean's 17.

Anonymous said...

We all know Glenn loves the Kirk/Spock.

laurie said...

I have never heard of this movie.

DCP said...

I prefer Sulu/Chekov.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

enterprise/enterprise a slashfic

Chris said...

Do you think we could wrap up your Top 100 sometimes this century?

Punchline!

Chris said...

So much for that joke.

Timmaaay!!! said...

It beat American Graffiti and The Exorcist, among others, for the Oscar for Best Picture of 1973. You must see it.

I show it in my Film as Lit class, and it is often voted by my classes as the best/favorite film I show, along with Cool Hand Luke usually.

Timmaaay!!! said...

Oh yeah! FUN TRIVIA!!!

The set they used for the drug store across from the fake off-track betting place in The Sting is the same set they used (after some redecorating) as the café in the Back to the Future films!

Seriously, see it. And buy the soundtrack, which re-popularized Scott Joplin/Ragtime. "The Entertainer" even made it into the national Top Ten that year.