Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bruno


Sacha Baron Cohen follows up Borat with gay panic-palooza. I was both delighted and offended within the first five minutes, so I feel I got my money's worth. In usual fashion, Cohen pushes the envelope with ordinary people to see how far he can go before they walk away or threaten violence. Unfortunately, there are only a few scenes of him goading people into saying ridiculous things, my favorites being the scene in which Bruno consults actual "charity image experts" to help him pick a charity and the one in which Bruno talks to parents of baby models to see what they're willing to allow. Most of the scenes are geared around gay stereotypes taken to extremes. Bruno tries to get through boot camp. Bruno talks to gay conversion ministers. Bruno forces captive audience to see his penis. Bruno fellates a ghost. Bruno gets jackhammered in the dookie by various objects. Nice use of ironic music, nonetheless. I laughed and cringed my way through.

Rating: Predictable yet still quite funny% (60%)

Photo courtesy of www.thebrunomovie.com/

2 comments:

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

um... ever heard of a spoilers tag

John said...

I haven't seen it yet. Sacha Baron Cohen is so awkward he makes my teeth hurt.