Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dark Water

A Month Of Halloweenie Reviews #15

In this movie Jennifer Connelly plays a woman who is divorced and trying to get custody of her daughter. She has to move to a cheaper apartment so she leaves The City (Manhattan) and ends up in the barren wasteland known as Roosevelt Island so she can afford a two bedroom apartment for $900/mo (yeah, right). Unfortunately the place is haunted by a drowned girl's ghost which might be scary if you found out about it less than an hour into the movie. Until then really terrifying things happen, like there is a leak and also the water turns grimy. JESUS! Turn on the lights I'm trembling. I know this is a long review already, but I want to point out that the movie doesn't really do anything to establish why Jennifer Connelly deserves custody of the daughter more than the father. She's always popping pills, she refuses to let her daughter go to a free counselor when she starts talking to invisible people, and she lets her daughter wander unsupervised around the roof of an apartment building. At least the father wasn't trying to keep the girl around dangerous ghosts, lady!

RATING: 22%

4 comments:

I.J. said...

192 words about Dark Water vs. 10 about Pan's Labyrinth.

You know what would make this review cooler? If you took out all the capital letters.

laurie said...

I would live with scary water ghosts for a 2br at $900/mo. I drop off my laundry anyway.

I.J. said...

I also love Half-Light with Demi Moore (she playss a writer in it) and Alone in the Dark with Christian Slater.

I.J. said...

(Yayss, she playss a writer. I'm ssserioussss.)