Thursday, October 1, 2009

Stereotyping


The human brain often does things and sometimes these things can be weird. Like right now, I’m thinking of saying, “Canada blows—everyone’s a redneck, a cybaby or a total asshat, everyone is afraid to break from the teats of their former imperial mothers, no one knows how to tell a joke, there’s never an overly-fake-tanned-orange-looking girl at a beach, their mail doesn’t run on Saturdays, and look, they must be dumb because their money is multi-colo[u]red so they don’t even have to think about thumbing through their wallets.” If I didn’t already know that Canadians like beer and are generally nice and polite people, I’d probably think they were from Wisconsin. But I’m a pretty shitty person—in mind the of Jesus, I mean.

Rating: 50%

10 comments:

Internet John said...

Bravissimo! You Can Fight.

I wish I had the battery power to put a bunch of hilarious hyperlinks in my review, but the yuppietron would probably just crap out midway. I think Buddha wrote a song about that.

Edditor said...

cRybabby

Viking Andrew said...

Pastiche is supposed to be loving. I put my heart in this one.

Internet John said...

OK so the hyperlink thing isn't true now I'm just lazy

LoCo said...

I am in love with the em dash.

Viking Andrew said...

Fucking Wisconsin.

Yeah, the em dash pwns major.

I.J. said...

I don't know how you get an em dash vs. an en dash. I always just go with 2 hyphens. MS Word converts it automatically, but Blogger doesn't.

Viking Andrew said...

The en dash is largely useless, I think. In Word, isn't an en dash when you separate two things (usually numbers) with a hyphen? I think Word automatically corrects the hyphen to an en dash.

Who knows? Fuck the en dash. The em dash puts parentheses and colons to shame.

I.J. said...

Well what the fuck ever about the en dash. How the Christ do you get an em dash on Blogger I guess was fundamental question.

I.J. said...

Next to "also," the em dash is probably my worst stylistic habit. I've caught myself with 3 in a post before, but I try to keep it down to 1 per 2 or 3 posts now.

Parentheses are fucking useless (unless you're apologizing for saying something racist about Glenn). It's like "Well, this was too tangential to be an appositive but too irrelevant to be a footnote."

I dig colons (heh heh), but academics will sometimes have 2 or 3 in the same sentence. Lame.