Monday, April 14, 2008

I'll Be Lightening by Liam Finn

When a dude that I was making out with the other week put on Liam Finn's debut album I'll Be Lightening, I took pause. Was he putting on an album with lyrics like "girl you seemed so nice, but I'll be gone by morning time," and "well I honestly don't remember who you are" to send me a message or was this just what he'd been listening to lately? Because most people don't overanalyze every little thing in life, I assume it's likely the latter, but in the end that's neither here nor there. What is here and there is that despite its heavy and confusing lyrics, this album (that I had previously ignored because I was busy listening to Bon Iver) is actually pretty great. Loose heavy bass lines and thick lyrics make for a good time that I definitely recommend. Also, the internets tells me that Finn is the son of Neil Finn of Crowded House, which is neat because I have an odd attachment to "Don't Dream It's Over." Huzzah trivia. Huz-zah.

Rating: 72%

3 comments:

LoCo said...

When I hear "Don't Dream It's Over" all I can think of are the many Austrailian camp counselors from my youth... Crowded House is the shizz.

laurie said...

I always think of the tv miniseries version of The Stand because it's in that movie, which is actually pretty good. But I do have a bias opinion because I love the tv miniseries format.

laurie said...

I can't believe I rated this higher than Bon Iver. NO.