Thursday, April 3, 2008

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Everybody always asks me, since Sonic Youth is my favorite band, what is my favorite album by them. They expect me to say some obscure album, or one of their earlier, super abrasive works, but truth be told, it's their masterpiece Daydream Nation. It's my favorite album by Sonic Youth, and my favorite album of all time. At this exact moment they managed to combine their extreme noise-rock sensibilities (see Ghost Bitch from Bad Moon Rising) and their recent move away from that into more conventional song smithing (Schizophrenia from Sister is a good example) into songs that are simultaneously long, convoluted, and extremely catchy. This album as been my favorite for 13 years, and I can't really see anything replacing it. Check out these tracks, though the whole thing is fantastic. Here's my first top rating, and big deal, I went over 5 sentences.

Teenage Riot
Silver Rocket
The Sprawl
Cross The Breeze
Eric's Trip/Hey Joni

(I'll stop myself before I post a link to every song. If you don't own this album you are doing yourself a great disservice.)

RATING: 100%

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huzzah Daydream Nation for being the first top rating! Not that it's suprising. This is, indeed, a great album.

Jacqui

John said...

There's an Indy band from Moncton called Eric's Trip. They've been around since 1990. Lots of people here like them, although I'm not a big fan of the quasi-Sub Pop sound.
http://www.myspace.com/ericstrip

John said...

"Cross the Breeze" is a great song. The thunderbird is about the worst bass you can buy for $1500, but it looks badass.

DCP said...

I thought Eric's Trip broke up years ago. I loved Purple Blue back in high school.

Also, I wish I had $500 to spend on a guitar, much less $1500.