Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Star Trek: The Motion Picture soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith

I've never reviewed a movie soundtrack before, and since I've been doing nothing but nerd stuff lately, I guess I'll start here. Just kidding; I only review things as I encounter them, and I just happened to listen to this the other day. Anyway, this soundtrack by legendary film composer Jerry Goldsmith is amazing - sure, people love the actiony score to Star Trek II by James Horner, but this one Goldsmith has a lot more freedom because there are 12 minute special effects sequences all over the place. Works for the music, but people kind of hate the movie (not me). This score transcends the movie, although the famous Star Trek: The Next Generation theme was used here for the first time (gotta take everything hand-me-down, don't you, tng?), so you might not be able to separate that in your head.

RATING: 83%

3 comments:

LoCo said...

In case anyone is skeptical, I can attest that Glenn really did listen to this soundtrack recently. In his car. I was there. I suggested that maybe I walk the last block or two to our destination, and he suggested that he roll the windows down and turn the volume up. It was a precarious situation.

Anonymous said...

That theme, that TNG appropriated, was the only good thing to come out of that series.

Well, Worf going over to DS9 wasn't too bad.

John from Daejeon

laurie said...

Aaah, the dangers of dating a giant dork...