Friday, January 8, 2010

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1910

I really like LXG, but Century: 1910 was kinda boring. Neither the characters nor the milieu are developed in the lively way that I've come to expect from this series. The literary references are less interesting and funny and more obscure than usual. The art is dark and stiff. Not much seems to happen, plot-wise, either. Maybe it'll take another read or two before I "get" it, or maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe it was just a rushed job. I guess I'm glad I own this, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a huge Moore fan.

RATING: 65%

(Image from wednesdayshaul.com.)

7 comments:

Internet Robyn said...

Are there lots of boobies?

Internet John said...

Only in the requisite rape scene.

Internet John said...

(actually that's not true--there's more)

DCP said...

But it's only part one, right? They're going to do two more over the next couple of years? I'll wait until the whole thing's in a massive collection.

You said Black Dossier was pretty good, though?

I.J. said...

The Black Dossier got some bad reviews, but I liked it. There's some really cool bits, some weird bits, and a few parts that are kind of a chore to read. It's classic Moore, though.

Century 1910 is the first part of 3, but it's pretty long--if you're waiting for them to release them all together, you might be waiting for several years.

Walter Benjamin and the Mechanical Reproductions (the band) said...

yeah way to hate women by likeing missoginists

I.J. said...

Et tu, Brosef Komunyakaa?